So we were having a discussion the other day on what a fine line there is between hoarding and collecting. The real question asked, here, was, am I a rabid hoarder or a dedicated collector? It may or may not have arisen while I traipsed (happily I might add) through a flea market…
1.a supply or accumulation that is hidden or carefully guarded for preservation, future use, etc.:
a vast hoard of silver.
verb (used with object)
2. to accumulate for preservation, future use, etc., in a hidden or carefully guarded place:
to hoard food during a shortage.
verb (used without object)
3. to accumulate money, food, or the like, in a hidden or carefully guarded place for preservation, future use, etc.
- the act of collecting
2. something that is collected; a group of objects or an amount of material accumulated in one location, especially for some purpose or a as a result of some process:
a stamp collection; a collection of unclaimed hats in the checkroom; a collection of books on Churchill.
- the works of art constituting the holdings of an art museum:
a history of the museum and of the collection.
- the gathered or exhibited works of a single painter, sculptor, etc.:
an excellent Picasso collection.
- collections, the various holdings of an art museum organized by category, as painting, sculpture, works on paper, photography, or film:
the director of the collections.
- the clothes or other items produced by a designer, especially for a seasonal line:
the spring collection.
- a sum of money collected, especially for charity or church use.
I COLLECT WEIRD THINGS (for no other purpose than pure pleasure), YOU?
Books do not count as weird, and in any case, Grégoire darling, it’s not hoarding if it’s books, so. What else do my quirky self collect you may ask?
What can I say, I have a thing for them and they for me.
Yep. Old windows… It’s a gravitational pull between us.
and other assorted cans…
and other assorted rusting stuff
Dust bunnies. That last one is getting out of hand and may cross into hoarding territory… I feel a purge coming.
What are the quirkiest things you feel a strange compunction to collect?
Let me know! I’d love to hear from you. I’m just one click away : Hi!